This is a minor release focusing on bug fixes and performance improvements. Just like other minor releases, this release also aims to be backward compatible with previous WooCommerce releases.
Previous to this release, we’ve partially followed the Semantic Versioning (Semver) schema. Going forward we’ve decided to follow the WordPress versioning schema. This means that although we’re releasing version 5.0 (which usually means a backwards compatible breaking release under Semver), we will maintain backwards compatibility.
See more details in Developer Advisory: Changes to WooCommerce Versioning Scheme.
- Product Review Count: Previously in 4.9, we fixed the product review count from this PR #28624. This worked for all new comments being created however it did not correctly fix the issue that already happened. So we’ve put in a migration script which will fix the review count when new reviews are added. #28814
- Deprecate legacy reports: Since WooCommerce 4.0, it has added a new and improved WooCommerce Analytics. We’re encouraging users to start using the new WooCommerce Analytics and thus we have soft deprecated the legacy reports with a notice in the legacy reports section. #28799
- CSS Variables: We’ve added WooCommerce prefixed CSS variables to the stylesheet. This provides easier extendibility when developers need to utilize the same WooCommerce default styling without needing to recreate the CSS. #28709
- Restoring products, orders and coupons: Previously after trashing orders, products or coupons — when restoring, it puts these items into “draft” status. Now it will restore to the same status as what it was before to prevent issue. #28690
- Changing product type with attached files: Previously when an order is placed with a product that had downloadable files and when you change the product type to say a variable product, the permission for the downloadable files would be lost and access would be denied. This has been fixed so that it now recognizes the change of product type and when you go to use the same downloadable file, it would recognize it and recreate the permissions for the same customer. #28521
Filters and actions
We have added one new action in this release.
|woocommerce_activated_plugin||Action to signal that packages such as WC Admin has been activated. #28698|
We have added two new filters in this release.
|woocommerce_delete_variations_on_product_type_change||Filter to prevent|
variations from being deleted while switching from a variable product type to a variable product type. #27137
|woocommerce_new_order_email_allows_resend||Filter to allow resending of the new order email to the admin. #28858|
While there are no schema changes to the database tables, we want to highlight that there will be a migration script that runs in the database that fixes any potential issues with the product review counts. #28814. This in turn will bump the database version to 5.0.0.
This release does not introduce any changes to templates.
This version of WooCommerce is scheduled to be released as follows:
|Beta||January 19th, 2021|
|Release Candidate||January 26th, 2021|
|5.0 Final Release||February 9th, 2021|
As with the previous several releases, we have published testing instructions for . We’d love your help in testing this release.