This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from April 25th. (agenda, Slack archive).
Product Admin UI
- Mock-up of proposed redesign.
- The UI changes are primarily to reduce confusion with new users.
- Product data panel remains the same.
- Primary concerns are about existing plugins that add fields still being compatible with the redesign, especially the price fields area.
- Auto-generating SKUs will be tricky to get right.
CRUD Search Helpers
- Standardized way for developers to get information out of the database without having to worry about the actual database structure.
- Information will be retrieved using WC_Object_Query objects similar to WP_Query.
- This is under development now. See this pull request for an initial implementation.
- WC_Object_Query objects support querying by props and a subset of the parameters WP_Query supports.
- 3.1 will have Order and Product queries.
Importer / Exporter
- Please provide feedback on the proposed schema.
- Fields that don’t match a known field get imported as meta data.
- Handling of serialized data is a concern.
- We need to work out a good solution for a long-running import. One option is a background process with periodic polling to get the status.