Version 1.4.0 of WooCommerce Blocks is now available as a feature plugin. It’s the easiest, most flexible way to display your products on posts and pages!
What’s new in 1.4.0
Products by Attribute Block
As the name suggests, this block will display any products that have been assigned a specific attribute term, or multiple attribute terms. If you’ve tried the Products by Category block, the UI should feel familiar.
Aside from the attribute selection options, the settings match our other product grid blocks. You can arrange the layout into a specific number of rows and columns, and you can order the products by a variety of options like newness, price, rating, sales, etc.
Featured Product Height
It’s now possible to specify a custom height to the Featured Product block. It works by adding a handle to the bottom of the block, which you can drag to make the block taller.
Featured Product background image
In addition to setting a custom height, you can now also set a custom background image for the Featured Product block.
Lots of bug fixes
That’s it for new features, but 1.4.0 also includes a bunch of handy fixes and improvements:
- The correct product image placeholder is now displayed in previews.
- It’s no longer possible to create broken layouts by displaying products in grids with too many columns.
- Adding a Featured Product block without an image will not cause a PHP notice.
The full changelog for 1.4.0:
- Feature: Added new block: “Products by Attribute”
- Enhancement: Added the ability to resize the Featured Product block (a default and minimum height can be set by your theme)
- Enhancement: Updated button on Featured Product block to match core button block behavior
- Components: Added new control component
GridLayoutControlto manage row/column layout values
- Components: Updated
ProductAttributeControlto list only attribute types, then once selected, list terms in that attribute
- UX: Remove ability to change selected product in Featured Product block, to prevent “sticky” product links.
- Fix: A product without an image will now use the placeholder image in grid-layout block previews
- Fix: Previously, there was a PHP notice when a Featured Product has no background image
- Fix: There is now an enforced limit on column and row counts (which can be set by your theme)
- API: Added
attr_operatorsupport to products endpoint to compare product attribute terms
- Build: Update packages
- Build: Remove unnecessary internationalization build step
We’re aiming to merge this feature plugin in to WooCommerce core for 3.6. Before that happens we anticipate one more major release for WooCommerce Blocks. A few new features are planned for that release such as block transformations, and enhanced customisability.
Using the WooCommerce Blocks plugin
To get started with WooCommerce Blocks, make sure you are updated to the latest version of Gutenberg, or running WordPress 5.0.x. Then download the latest version of the plugin here or venture over to Dashboard → Updates, to update the plugin from from WordPress.
As always, if you have feature requests, or spot any bugs, please log them in detail on Github.
2 replies on “WooCommerce Blocks 1.4.0 Release Notes”
Really nice work – great to be able to use as a feature plugin prior to releasing with core.
Hi James, I have tried it with attributes. At setup and selecting attribute and term it showed me that there are 61 products with this term. But as I saw I can only display 21 of them, because I had 3 in a row and max 7 rows. No more are possible, because slider is all right. Is this a limit by plugin or does it come from Storefront theme?