This release includes a number of enhancements, bug fixes, and some behind-the-scenes work to allow third party extensions to integrate with the Cart and Checkout blocks. Additionally, there’s been a change-around in the sidebar of the Cart and Checkout blocks!
To kick things off, let’s talk about the design changes…
These changes include incremental design improvements to the order breakdown area of the Cart and Checkout blocks.
The Shipping, Subtotals and Tax breakdowns now live in their own sections. The rationale behind these changes was to create more distinction between cost areas to give the customer a better picture of their cost and order summary.
View original size
View original size
There is now an isolated shipping section that includes only information related to the shipping options and the shipping location.
As part of the shipping section improvement on the order summary of the Checkout block, the taxes totals have been isolated as a section with a breakdown appearing below indicating the sales tax value and any other tax-related charges incurred.
Coupons & Discounts
The coupon section UI and functionality remains the same but it will now appear below the Subtotals section to provide a better visual connection to the output of applying a discount.
We also made some changes to allow some of our blocks to be used in the new widget editor coming in WordPress 5.8, and deprecating the legacy widgets for which a feature-complete block-based equivalent exists.
The controls used to select: tags, categories, and attributes in our blocks have also been improved, with new styles and better accessibility support.
Further details about the exact things we’ve changed can be found by reading the Pull Request descriptions linked in the changelog below.
- Added a key prop to each
- Hide legacy widgets with a feature-complete block equivalent from the widget area block inserter. (4237)
- Hide the All Products Block from the Customizer Widget Areas until full support is achieved. (4225)
- Sync customer data during checkout with draft orders. (4197)
- Update the display of the sidebar/order summary in the Cart and Checkout blocks. (4180)
- Improved accessibility and styling of the controls of several of ours blocks. (4100)
- Hide tax breakdown if the total amount of tax to be paid is 0. (4262)
- Prevent Coupon code panel from appearing in stores were coupons are disabled. (4202)
- For payment methods, only use
canMakePaymentin the frontend (not the editor) context. (4188)
- Fix duplicate react keys in ProductDetails component. (4187)
- Fix sending of confirmation emails for orders when no payment is needed. (4186)
- Stopped a warning being shown when using WooCommerce Force Sells and adding a product with a Synced Force Sell to the cart. (4182)